Sunday, March 21, 2010

Year of the Pie - Pie #36 American Pie

Well, if I still have any readers left after my last post, I just wanted to say that this week I was kind of wanting an apple pie.
I combined two different recipes to make this pie. It didn't have a name, so I gave it one.
(I was reading recipes for French,Dutch & German apple pies......since our country is made up of so many different peoples, I chose to name it American Pie.)
I used the regular Betty Crocker recipe for a two-crust pie. The top crust I just did in lattice. Not the pretty woven kind, just the laid on kind. I used five Granny Smith apples and one Jonagold just for fun.
Mix together:
1 C. sugar
1/4 C. flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
Peel, core and slice 6 apples and spread them over the pie crust. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the apples. Dot with about 2 T. butter.
Lay the lattice work on top. As you lay them on top attach them to the bottom crust by moistening the bottom crust with a bit of water and press to seal.
Then cut off the excess crust and make it real pretty.
Bake the pie for about 45 minutes at 425º.
I run a cake tester through the middle of the pie to check for tenderness.
When you feel that it is almost done, pour 1 C. heavy cream through the lattice work and bake 5 more minutes.






When you are finished....you will have a messy oven.
My husband and I are sitting here at the computer pre-reading this post and he is eating a cold piece of this pie as we speak. He says it is very good. You can't beat pie for breakfast....REALLY.
Hope you like it too.

Until Next Time....

No comments:

Post a Comment