Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My Compost Project

I am not a super gardener by any means, but I have started a little compost pile/area out back. Just yesterday I set it up. I used an old chicken pen placed on top of a donated wooden pallet. I had been saving the proper kitchen scraps and chicken manure and went over to the neighbor's leaf pile and scored some leafage. Put more leaves on top of what you see here and then placed a heavy board on top to keep critters out. I will add daily to my compost and turn it every couple weeks and maybe by fall it will be ready, if not, certainly by next spring. It will come in quite handy with the new way I am gardening this year. It isn't a NEW way, but it is new to me. I will post on it soon.




1 comment:

  1. I love your compost bin! I bought a pre-made one, way back before we had a farm. And now I really wish we had something a lot bigger. Yours looks like it would compost much faster than mine, and hold a lot more. I'll be curious to hear how you like it as you use it. I might be talking my husband into building me one like that :)

    ReplyDelete