Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Year of the Pie - Pie #35 Peppermint Pie

Well, what a week it has been. First my Divine Lime Pie was a bust and then my first Peppermint Pie was a bust. So after some study and viewing a YouTube video on whipping cream and reading the user's manual from my super duper Hamilton Beach mixer, her name is EVA, I tried to whip cream again. I had much better success this time. Previously, I had been mixing to fast and too long. I went past the point of stiff peaks and my whipped cream was like cottage cheese stuff.
View this YouTube video if you too are having trouble whipping cream.
This is my almost finished pie. It needs to sit in the fridge for at least 12 hours and then some crushed peppermint candies need to be scattered on top.


This is the stage to which EVA whipped the cream

My pie is still setting up, so I am using the picture from the cookbook to show you what the finished product looks like.
We sneaked a taste and it is a smooth mildly peppermint taste.
For fun...rent the movie Wall E. You will find EVA there, she looks like my mixture. lol

Here is the skinny on peppermint pie.
One graham cracker crust.
1½ C. crushed graham crackers
3 T. white sugar
1/3 C. melted butter
Mixed all together and press on the bottom and sides of the pie plate and baked at 350° for 10 minutes. Take it out and let it cool.


For the filling you need:
24 large marshmallows
½ C. milk
1/8 tsp. salt
6 drops of peppermint extract
6 drops of red food coloring
1 C. chilled whipping cream (I used heavy cream-yikes)
2 T. crushed peppermint candy

Heat marshmallows and milk in saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, just until marshmallows are melted. Remove from heat; stir in the vanilla, salt, peppermint extract, and food coloring. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon. I let mine sit in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes.

Beat whipping cream in chilled bowl until stiff. I chilled my whisk attachment too. Stir marshmallow mixture until blended; fold into whipping cream. Pour into crust. Refrigerate at least 12 hours. yes, twleve. Just before serving, sprinkle with crushed candy.

1 comment:

  1. Lou-
    This has made my day...I have been visiting this blog for quite a while and after meeting up with you at the library got tickled to finally realize you were already on my favorite list! I didn't even recongize Margaret! I know it has been a while since our unique encounter but I have had a hard time sitting still long enough to brouse :0) My daughter and I are thinking of starting the year of the pie next year as I endeavour to lean more in the homekaing teaching styles for her. Here is my blog...still needs to be updated but it's there...finally!! And my email hope to hearf rom you soon and untuill then may God bless you as you go about your day :)
    SImply me,
    Dawn Pickering

    ReplyDelete