Saturday, March 6, 2010

Pie Troubles

I asked my husband to run a few errands with me today. I was a little intimidated to look for two ingredients for an upcoming pie.
Creme de Menthe
and
White Creme de Cacao.
Well first of all...it needs to be in English. It is my first language.
While in the cooking aisle of Meijer, I had to PHONE A FRIEND. My friend couldn't help too much. The employees couldn't help much.
For some reason I felt like Grasshopper pie should taste of mint. So we just got a little bottle of Mint Extract and said it will have to do. We may check with a kitchen specialty store next week to see if they have it.
Wikipedia tells me that both of these ingredients are used in alcoholic mixed drinks.
Must be why I don't know what they are. Anyway.....more on that next week. I am still making a pie, hopefully, tomorrow....check back.

On a different note, my husband treated me to lunch at my favorite Mexican restaurant. I know it was authentic because the waitress had to ask the head guy about our order to make sure she got it right. English is not her first language. She speaks Spanish really well.
So, we got a couple lunch specials....his came with guacamole and mine didn't. So I asked for some on the side. They were most happy to oblige.
When Chris got the bill we saw why they were so eager to please.
Approximately 1/2 cup of guacamole was $3.85.
We toted that guacamole around with us to complete our errands. lol

Well, wish me luck on this week's pie. I am having a bit of trouble deciding which to make.

Until Next Time.
p.s. if you have ever made Grasshopper Pie would you enlighten me about the ingredients?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds very interesting. I see recipes with strange ingredients all the time and I am left with no clue on how to find them. I can't wait to see how your pie turns out.

    Blessings!
    Joyce Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny post! The ingredients in a recipe definitely dictate whether or not I'll be making it. If it has things I can't pronounce or more than 5 ingredients - it's a no go!

    Let us know whatcha find! I bet the Houston Market has it! That's where the high society folks shop. Needless to say - I go to Kroger!

    ReplyDelete