Sunday, May 16, 2010

Year of the Pie - Pie #43 Rhubarb Pie

In a previous post I mentioned that the next few pies will be dedicated to certain Pettys of the NASCAR Pettys.
This is pie #43-Richard Petty, The King drove the Petty Blue car #43.
Rhubarb, to me, is The King of the Pie World. LOVE it.

My cousin Deena graciously gave me some frozen rhubarb to make this pie and take to church.

I did find that when the rhubarb thawed it kind of shrank. So if you have frozen 4 C. of fresh rhubarb and expect to make a regular sized pie with it, you may run in to some difficulty. Have some extra on stand by.
But experience tells me that if you use 4 C. of fresh rhubarb right out of the garden it will be an adequate amount.

Anyway....let's get started. It is super easy.
You will need to make two pie crusts.
I chill mine after I have rolled them out and place them in the pie plate.

Mix together 1 1/3C. to 1 2/3 C. sugar with 1/3 C. flour.
Place half of the rhubarb on the bottom crust and sprinkle half of the sugar mixture over it.
Place the rest of the rhubarb on top of that and then the rest of the sugar mixture.
Dot with 2 T. of butter
Moisten the rim of the bottom crust and then apply the top crust and seal them together.
Trim, flute and put several slits in it so the steam can escape.


Bake 425° for 40-50 minutes. I baked mine for 50 minutes and used a pie shield to keep the crust from burning. I removed it during the last several minutes of baking to get it nice and brown.


A piece of the above-mentioned pie on a plate ready for consumption, by moi.

It was still warm and absolutely delicious.
Even Richard would like it. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm ashamed to say - I wouldn't know a rhubarb if I saw one!

    Thanks for your comment this morning! You crack me up!

    Happy Pie making:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Rhubarb...my grandma used to make it when i was little...haven't had it in so long.

    ReplyDelete