Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Alpaca Fiber

If you read my daughters blog, you will get a glimpse of what we did last week. She doesn't go into great detail about the first annual Kentucky Sheep and Fiber Festival, but I will post more about it in the coming days.
But I DID want to share a pretty little thing with you today.
If I am correct in my thinking this is 2-ply alpaca fiber. Not sure what to call it other than fiber.

I have read that alpaca fiber is lighter and warmer than wool. It doesn't have lanolin, which could be allergic for some people, and the fibers are hollow-filled with air which allows for the lightweight warmth.
This particular hank is super soft.
I will let you know what I knit up with it.





3 comments:

  1. how cool is that! I posted a picture of my work in progress:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete