Thursday, February 18, 2010

Year of the Pie - Pie #31, RITZ Pie a.k.a Mock Apple Pie



On our ride to Kokomo Saturday I mentioned this Ritz Pie to Mom. She said it is a mock apple pie. I got to checking around and she is absolutely right. NOT THAT I DOUBTED YOU MOM-EVER!!!!! lol.
I had originally planned on making a recipe from my husband's grandmother. It is called simply Ritz Pie. I checked some recipes on line and found one similar to hers, but I liked it just a bit better.
How can Ritz crackers be used to create a mock apple pie? Would it taste like apples? Would it set up right? How could this be? Well, it must fall under 'chemistry class' or something because this amazing little pie was an absolute MARVEL to make. You boil Ritz crackers and when the boiling is done....it looks like applesauce....I kid you not!! My little helper was just as amazed. Pour this 'applesauce' mixture into the pie shell and add a Ritz cracker crumble topping and you have the beginnings of a mock apple pie. I promise that if you have never made a pie like this you will be thrilled when you do. It definitely will make you smile. It is as tasty as any apple pie you will eat. It is one of my all- time favorite pie experiences.

Make the pie crust and chill it in the fridge whilst you make the filling.
Then pre-heat the oven at 475°.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine:
  • 2 C. water
  • 1 C. white sugar
  • 2 tsp. cream of tartar
Bring this to a boil.
Drop in 30 Ritz crackers and boil for 5 minutes.

After 5 minutes it looks like this.


Pour it into the pie shell and sprinkle ½ tsp. of cinnamon and 1 T. of lemon juice on top.

Mix together,
  • 1 C. crushed Ritz crackers
  • ½ C. packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 C. melted butter
Sprinkle over the pie filling.


Bake for 15 minutes and reduce heat to 375° and continue to bake for 20 minutes longer.
Let it sit for a spell and then serve warm.

3 comments:

  1. It looks really good and I look forward to trying out the recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just looking at great depression era recipes this morning...did you know that these pies were from that era?

    What a coincidence. Are you getting a melt down yet? We began today...every so often a big clump of snow would fall off of our roof and I can see a bit of ground where my husband shoveled for our dogs to go potty. Now, if the other 12 inches would melt...boy are we going to have a mess on our hands when it does.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a box of Ritz in my cabinet just waiting for me to try this recipe out. It sounds so fun and easy. Oh, I saw on another blog someone was talking about making pies for years and she was so happy that she finally ordered a Pampered Chef pastry sheet to work with. She basically said exactly what you did. GET ONE. :)

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete