Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Year of the Pie - Pie # 30 Snow Pie

Well, this week's pie has to do with SNOW....
It's real name is White Christmas Pie. But what makes a Christmas white? Snow does. So I just changed the name. In all seriousness though, credit goes to Allrecipes.com. You can find the original recipe there. Rhea submitted it. But I will retype it here for you as well.
I thought that making this pie would rid me of the rest of the coconut.
Oh, my despair when I realized that coconut multiplies when left alone. SO....we still have coconut. This pie calls for a baked pie crust. So go ahead and do that. I wanted to show a picture of what the mixture looks like just before you sprinkle one tablespoon of water at a time and toss with a fork. Here it is.


The ingredients seemed to be never-ending. Here is a picture. Notice the whiteness of it all?


Here is what it looks like after it is poured into the shell. Chill it for 2 hours.

Took this pie to church on Superbowl Sunday. I wore my fleece Colts jacket that I made. I am really not a big fan...but I wanted to make one.


So here goes with the pie.
INGREDIENTS
1 (.25 ounce) pkg. of unflavored gelatin
1/4 C. cold water
1 C. white sugar-divided
4 T. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 ½ C. milk
3/4 tsp. vanilla
1 C. flaked coconut
½ C. heavy whipping cream
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
Bold2 T. flaked coconut
1 (9-inch) baked pie crust
DIRECTIONS
Soften the gelatin in the cold water.

Combine ½C. sugar, flour & salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook over low heat, stirring until it boils. Boil for 1 minute and remove from the heat. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the softened gelatin. When partially set, beat with a mixer until smooth. Blend in the vanilla and coconut.
Exhale. (added by me)

Whip the cream until stiff. Gently fold into the coconut mixture-above.

In another clean bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy. Beat in the cream of tartar & ½ C. sugar. Add the sugar very gradually until stiff peaks form. ( this makes a very nice meringue)
Fold into the coconut mixture. Mix gently but thoroughly. Pile it into the pie crust. Sprinkle 2 T. of coconut flakes on it.

Chill for at least 2 hours.

It is a really white pie.

2 comments:

  1. sounds delicious! Thanks for your permission to rest. LOL I have realized that I do way more with my left hand than I had ever realized. It is hard to just do nothing. I am going to find something to do today and just keep it rested.

    Blessings dear friend,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so interesting!! I can't imagine the flavor, so I think I HAVE to make this, you know, just to test out the flavor. Tee hee!!

    His,
    Mrs. U

    ReplyDelete