Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Joy of Wool

I really enjoy knitting with wool, so when the opportunity to learn to 'spin' wool came, I signed right up.
That is me TRYING to spin some wool on a small treadle spinning wheel. I really really want one of these.


The above drop spindle is holding the wool that I spun on it from @10:00 to 2:00 by hand. You get the wool in place and give the spindle a spin and then bring your hand back up to help pull the wool apart....ugh. It seems that there should be more on there for 4 hours effort. lol



A basket of wool the instructor brought. Included in our fee was two of these balls. We could pick which ones we wanted.



This is a view of the BIG spinning wheel that the instructor demonstrated. That is her hand. See the white wool. It is on a drop spindle...it is turned sideways. Basically, with a wheel you have both hands free to work the wool. With the drop spindle you are using your 'free' hand to spin it and then bringing the 'free' hand back up to help the other hand...draw the wool. When the spindle begins to slow down on spinning you reach down and spin it again and continue with the drawing of the wool.

But, Praise the Lord, someone invented the wheel and a way to use your feet to keep it moving while you work with both hands on the wool.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't spinning fun? I also feel like I should have more on the spindle to show for the amount of time I have spent. I can't wait until my spinning becomes more even and consistent. Good luck with yours! :)

    ReplyDelete