Sunday, January 31, 2010

Year of the Pie - Pie #29 French Silk Pie

I honestly don't know what makes this pie a 'French' pie, but whatever it is, it is good. Start this lovely pie with a baked pie crust in a 9-inch pie plate.

1 C. flour
1/4 t. salt
1/3 C. + 1 T. shortening
1 T. of ice water sprinkled 1 T. at a time.

After I put the crust in the plate I poke it with a fork a few times and set it in the fridge for half an hour or so.
Bake it on 475° for 8-10 minutes. Taking great care not to let it burn...



In the meantime, you can work on the filling, which is so good, you might weep. But be brave, have the tissues at hand and go for it.
You will need three of the 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate squares and one half stick of BUTTER (4 T. or 1/4 C.). I shaved the chocolate in my Pampered Chef cheese shredder thingy. It melted nice and evenly and quite quickly.





Here are all of the ingredients:
  • 1/4 C. butter
  • 3 Ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
  • 1 C. sugar
  • 3 T. cornstarch
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 C. heavy whipping cream
O.K. So here is the recipe:

Melt the butter and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Mix sugar and cornstarch; stir into the chocolate mixture.

Beat eggs in a small bowl with your favorite electric mixer on medium speed until thick and lemon in color. Stir this into the chocolate mixture. Cook the chocolate mixture over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring CONSTANTLY... (you will have to switch to you other hand before you are done....trust me.), until thick and glossy. Stir in the vanilla. Cool 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Now, beat whipping cream in a chilled medium bowl with your electric mixer on high speed until stiff. I beat mine til it looked like the picture above. It looked
about right to me...so I went with it.

Fold the chocolate mixture into the cream. Fold is a tricky word for me....I took it to mean, fold it in til combined...but don't beat it or anything harsh. What do you think it means? Am I close?

After it is gently blended together, pour it in the pie plate. Cover and refrigerate about 4 hours or until set.


And YES that is SUNLIGHT on that little pie. The sun is shining today!!!! Praise the Lord for a welcomed sight.
I am still learning how to place the pictures......Until Next Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment