Sunday, January 10, 2010

Year of the Pie - Pie #25 Coconut Cream Pie

Pie #25
Coconut Cream Pie

Tell me I did NOT write those words. Coconut? Bleck. It would be putting it mildly to say that I detest coconut-in ALL forms. I have never purchased coconut in my life and barely knew where to find the silly stuff. But Chris ran into the grocery with me Friday and I just ran across it at Aldi in the 'cooking' aisle. So I thought....might as well get it done. It is gonna happen sooner or later. Chris likes coconut cream pie. Lots of people do....go figure? So as I made this pie......I was not stressed in the least because I didn't care if it turned out right or NOT because I wouldn't be tasting it. LOL
I guess I was secretly hoping it would turn out a little since Chris was very interested in its well being as it came into existence.
SO, ladies and gentlemen (if there be any that read this), with no further ado, I give you the Coconut Cream Pie, watalulu style.

Although quite easy, this pie has quite a few steps so stay with me.

Step #1
Make a pie crust.
Mix 1 C. flour with 1/4 t. salt and mix. Cut in 1/3 C. + 1 T. Crisco shortening. Use a pastry mixer for this if you have it....so handy and works great. When the pieces are mixed well and look like little pebbles in size, switch to a fork and blend in 1 T. of ice water at a time. Blend with the fork in big happy circles, holding the bowl at an angle. You will probably need to sprinkle in about 2- 3 tablespoons before it miraculously clings together and leaves the sides of the bowl clean. Shape into a ball, then roll out in to a fabulous circle. Have fun with it. Remember roll it out like a clock. After you have put it in the plate, prick it all over with aforementioned fork and set it in the fridge while you do step two.

Step #2

Put 1 1/3 C. sweetened shredded coconut flakes (oiu I said it again...)in a pie plate and bake it at 300° for 20 - 30 minutes. Stir it occasionally. I must admit, it smelled sweet when I opened it and it really kind of smelled good as it toasted. And it was real pretty when it was done.

a gigantic picture of coconut

put the coconut in a pie plate and toast it
toasted

Step #3
Now bake the crust at 475° for 8 - 10 minutes. Guard it from browning too much with a pie shield or an aluminum tent.
Then set it aside with the toasted coconut.

Step#4
Now here comes the sweet part. My favorite part. This recipe is the basis for banana cream, chocolate cream, and coconut cream pie. Add the appropriate flavor at the end. If you add no flavor to this concoction you get a wonderful Vanilla Cream Pie. Tasting it right out of the sauce pan will surely make you think you are in heaven. Mmmmm. But this particular story has a sad ending because we put coconut in it. LOL So let's make a filling.

In a medium saucepan mix very well:
2/3 C. sugar
1/4 C. cornstarch
1/4 t. salt

Pour in
2½ C. milk
Vigorously beat in
5 egg yolks
until all blended and no yellow streaks remain.
Save 3 of the egg whites for the meringue.
Using your favorite whisk, whisk this mixture constantly over medium heat. Not a 'hot' medium heat, more of a 'medium' medium heat.
Whisk and whisk and whisk.....whisk infinity.
Then all of a sudden your delightful mixture that you have been moving in a circular motion for what seems and eternity, will thicken and then it will thicken more and a little more. Ahhh, perfection. It smells good too.
Once it comes to just a bare simmer -don't let it boil- remove it from the heat (just lift it up some) and stir. Return it to the heat and cook 30 second or more. Til you feel it is nice and thick. Remove from the heat.
Then add 3 T. of diced butter and 1 t. vanilla and the coconut, in that order. After I stir in the butter I let it melt before I add the vanilla and the 'C'. ick
Pour this mixture into the waiting pie crust.

Step #5
Now, with the 3 egg whites have your mixture beat them on high til they become fluffy. Right as you start mixing, throw in 1/4 t. cream of tartar. After it becomes fluffy, add 1 T. of sugar at a time (for a total of 6 T.) until the meringue gets big and glossy looking. Then add 1/2 t. vanilla. Mix and then spoon it on the filling and then bake it for a bit at about 350° for 10 minutes or until nicely browned, which ever happens first.

Let the pie cool on the counter top for about two hours and then put it in the fridge.

This pie went to church and Nancy, Ann and our nice neighbor Bob B. liked it very well, along with Chris.

So there you have it.
Until Next Time

No comments:

Post a Comment