Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Year of the Pie - Pie #26 Apple Pie

Pie # 26
Apple Pie

As I look through various cook books and read the names of pies, I get a little discouraged. I am just a simple gal who wants a good pie. Some of the names of the pies are longer than the recipe. The longest named pie on my blog has been the Sour Cream Pear Pie.
I guess I just want a GOOD simple pie with a simple name.
A few names from the latest pie book that I am studying are:
Creme Anglaise Berry Pies (I had to read further into the recipe to discover that creme anglaise is vanilla custard sauce.)
The Simplest Cranberry-Apple Crumb Pie
Blueberry-Peach Pie with Pecan Crumb Topping
Pear and Jalapeno Jelly Pie
Peachy Peach Butter Pie with Sour Cream Topping
....they just seem too long.

In August we made French Apple Pie,
in September we made Fried Apple Pies and German Apple Pie,
but we were yet to make just a simple apple pie.

So, here is one.

Two Crust Pastry Recipe
2 C. flour
1 t. salt
2/3C. + 2 T. shortening
4-5 T. ice water
Mix, divide, roll out. I chose to do a lattice for the top of this one.
My daughter is a better lattice maker than I. You can see her work here.

Here is the recipe for the fillling.

  1. 3/4 C. sugar
  2. 1/4 C. flour
  3. 1/2 t. ground nutmeg
  4. 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
  5. dash of salt
  6. 6 C. thinly sliced pared tart apples (about 6 medium)+
  7. 2 T. diced butter

Mix the first five ingredients together and stir in the apples.
Pour into the prepared crust and dot with the butter.
Cover with the top crust.
Bake at 425° for 40-50 minutes.
If using a solid crust for the top, slit cuts in it several times.
Have a piece with ice cream.
Now sing the theme song to the old Chevrolet commercial.
Hot dogs, ice cream, apple pie and Chevrolet......
if you are of the younger persuasion, ask and older person to sing it.

Until Next Time

Remember January 23, 2010 is National Pie Day.
Make a pie for someone you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment