Sunday, January 17, 2010

Year of the Pie - Pie #27 Sawdust Pie

Pie #27
Sawdust Pie

Can you believe that we are half way to the 52 pie mark? Pie #27 marks the turning point on this little pastry journey. It has been interesting to say the least. Before the journey began, the crust was the most challenging part for me....I can now say that I can make a crust with confidence and glee. I tried a few different crust recipes and I kept falling back to my favorite one. The Betty Crocker crust recipe. I have been released from apologies, explanations and excuses in the pie world after I watched Julie/Julia. It is the movie about Julia Child. (watch with caution).
The goal of the Year of the Pie was to teach my daughter (while teaching myself) all about pies. I don't think we will ever know ALL about pies...but we are no longer afraid of them. Maggie started our pie journey with Pumpkin pie on July 12, 2009. Some weeks I make a pie solo, some weeks, she does...it just depends on what is going on in our lives at that precise pie moment.
I appreciate all of you taking this pie journey with us...it is fun. Our goal is to make a different pie each week-the hard part is deciding which pie to make.
Well, let's just get right into this weeks' pie.......shall we?
You need some shredded coconut, pecans and graham crackers. You will still have coconut left, so plan on making coconut squares or something. You will have graham crackers left over, so plan on making a cream pie with graham cracker crust.
Also in the picture is my new spice rack my husband custom made for me.
You will have 7 egg yolks left over, so use 6 of them to make a double batch of egg noodles.
I got a little whiny with the ingredients because they were a little pricey. Pecans are just so expensive.

Here is the recipe.

  1. One unbaked 9-inch pie crust. Chill it in the fridge while you make the filling.
  2. 7 large egg whites
  3. 1½ C. sugar
  4. 1½ C. crushed graham crackers
  5. 1½ C. sweetened coconut flakes
  6. 1½ C. finely chopped pecans

Combine egg whites and sugar, stir with a wooden spoon.
Add graham crackers, coconut and pecans, stir until evenly combined.
Pour into the pie crust.
Bake on CENTER rack at 325° for 25 minutes, turn 180° and bake an addition 10-15 minutes. The center should be a little gooey when done. The edges-no so much.

Serve warm or at room temperature.
Garnish with banana slices and whipped cream.
We took the pie to church and my husband said that this was the last piece. Men just eat different than gals...don't you think? I would not have put my dessert right on my 'still icky plate' from dinner. But, anyway, he usually tries one of everything and tonight was no different. He said he liked it very much. A couple other folks mentioned that they liked it too. If you read my previous pie post about Coconut Cream Pie, you will know how much I detest coconut. I DID taste this pie a little and I just couldn't like it. Maggie passed on the taste test, but she did roll out the double batch of egg noodles for the freezer.

Remember that National Pie Day is January 23, 2010.
Make a pie for someone you .

No comments:

Post a Comment