Sunday, January 3, 2010

Year of the Pie - - Pie #24 Applesauce Pie

Pie #24
Applesauce Pie


I have been reading this fellas pie book. In his book this pie is titled Cinnamon Applesauce Pie. I didn't follow his recipe exactly so therefore I can rename it right? Basically, he says this..."Cooks of another era would often make applesauce pies as their supplies of storage apples dwindled and then ran dry. It's easy to understand why they would have embraced the idea, what with all the other chores to be done, because a jar of applesauce relieves a busy home maker of the peeling and slicing required for a fresh apple pie. I think you will like this pie for the same reason." Use your canned applesauce, Mott's or another good-quality brand.

So here goes:
2 large eggs at room temperature (I think the eggs I used were medium)
1 large egg yolk at room temperature
1/3 C. sugar
1/3 C. brown sugar
Combine the above in a large bowl and mix on medium speed until well mixed-about 30 seconds.

Mix well
2 C. applesauce (I used home canned Cortland apples)
1/4 C. (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1 T. fresh lemon juice -I didn't use
1 tsp. lemon zest - I didn't use
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
and add to egg mixture and blend really well.
Pour into a prepared 9 inch pie crust (unbaked).


Bake on CENTER rack for 15 minutes at 400°. Then reduce to 350° and bake 30 minutes longer. Fifteen minutes before it is done, rotate 180°.
I checked it with a cake tester in the center and it was clean.
Pull it out and cool on rack and then refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

This pie is EASY to make. If you have a beginning pie maker, this might be a pie to start with.
It's texture and the way it bakes up and it's personality remind me very much of pumpkin pie.

We took this pie to church and I didn't catch the response from those gathered, but here is our take on it.
Chris: He liked it. (he likes everything)
Moi: I liked the texture o.k., but the taste was a bit sweet/tart. If you really liked SweetTarts, you might like this pie.
Maggie: The taste was fine, but the texture was a bit squishy. She doesn't do squishy.

Until Next Time
Don't forget......National Pie Day - January 23, 2010!!!!!!! Make a pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment