Sunday, July 11, 2010

Year of the Pie - Pie #51 Apple Cheese Pie


My husband volunteered to go on a 'can of pumpkin' hunt. The two groceries on the north end of town didn't have any. Today he said...he would run out to Wal-Mart and see. I suggested that he call first and make sure they had the can of pumpkin in their hand. He did and they didn't. Then he called Meijer and they didn't either. So four of our big groceries didn't have one can of pumpkin.
I told my loving husband....."That is o.k., I just won't make a pie today and I will make another one sometime this week".
He said...."Honey, I feel responsible. I don't want to be part of the household that made 50 pies and then dropped it with two left to go." I assured him I would complete the mission. :) But, he is a FIXER and this problem needed fixed. So I told him that if he wanted to go fetch some apples and cheese I could make this Apple Cheese Pie.
So off he happily went to get the ingredients.
(It may also have something to do with the idea of taking it to church. He and several folks at church are accustomed to the pie thing) (If any of my church friends are interested....I will still be bringing pies after this is over). :) Maybe not every week.

Anyway, this pie is from the Westinghouse Cook Book that I mentioned in the previous post. The poor book practically falls open to the pie section.

This recipe calls for the Sweet Pastry for one-crust. It is in the Crust post.
Ingredients:
6 baking apples, peeled, cored and cut into eighths.
2/3 C. sugar
2 T. flour
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 C. sour cream
1/2 C. snappy cheese, finely grated. ( I love that phrase-snappy cheese. Chris and I figured it meant Sharp Cheddar)

Line pie plate with sweet pastry. Cut the applies into eighths. Arrange them in the pastry lined-pie plate. Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon & sour cream together. Pour mixture over the apples. Sprinkle grated cheese over the apples. Bake. 375° for 50-60 minutes. Serves 6. (but you know I will cut it into twelve pieces) :) I baked it for 60 minutes.
It is now after church. The pie was taken. The pie was eaten. Several people said they liked it.
Steve gave me a suggestion. When he worked out at the factory a certain fella brought a big slice of apple pie every day for dessert after lunch. The same fella would put a slice of American cheese on his piece of regular American pie and heat it in the microwave a little.
Steve said it is VERY good like that.
So now we have two good examples of Apple Cheese Pie.
Personally it wasn't my favorite pie.
But try it....it may become yours.















Until Next Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment