Friday, March 2, 2012

My Favorite Cornbread EVER!

I have always 'liked' cornbread...but never LOVED it. Things have changed. Surprisingly, this gluten free version is my favorite. Go figure.

The flour blend mentioned and the book I got it from are here.


1 and 1/4 C. cornmeal
1 C. flour blend
1/3 C. sugar or fructose powder (I use sugar)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 and 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1 C. milk (2%, rice or soy)
1/3 C. canola oil

Mix the dry ingredients together and then separately mix the wet ingredients. Combine them and mix just til it is moist. Pour into greased cast iron skillet. Bake 25 minutes until top is firm and the edges are lightly browned. Serve warm. I use a LITTLE butter on mine..but not as much as I used to.
Great with soup beans, which are very good for you.
If you add cumin to your beans while they cook-about 1 tsp or so- it helps your body digest them easier. Plus it tastes good.

My skillet is about 8 + inches across the bottom and 10 inches across the top.



No comments:

Post a Comment