Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Socks Have a Home

I finished the socks.
They are too big for me and as I was nearing completion I told my husband I was going to rip them out and start over in a smaller size.
Even though I had tried them on him several times as I knitted them, he didn't express a GREAT interest in having them be HIS socks. So I thought....rip them out and start over. He was to have none of that. He would wear them. He would wear them with his work boots. They come an inch or two above the boot. They will look just fine when he wears his long pants. (they will be covered).
The shorter cuff is good for him. Two and a half years ago, he was struck down with MRSA. (methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus) in his right knee. Twelve days in the hospital with clindamycin and vancomycin continuously alternated, two leg operations, 30 days of oral antibiotics after he got home left him with the desire not to have anything too tight on his calf.
Thus the short cuff-how wonderful!
So here they are. I washed them but didn't block them so they may look a bit funny. The cuff "LOOKS" tight, but it isn't.


I understand that they wouldn't be exactly the same, but the striping seems to be more like cousins than brothers. :(


2 comments:

  1. Those socks look pretty good! I've yet to be happy with any I've made. I sat next to an expert sock knitter today at the fair. I was drooling over her expertise. I spun lots more alpaca today and was given two free bags of beautiful roving from a generous donor! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely socks! Isn't it great when our men like our knitting? I feel great every time I see hubby wearing something I made him :)
    And I don't worry about matching striping. I think it's more individual the way yours are.

    ReplyDelete