Sunday, September 26, 2010

My Weekend

This weekend my husband went to his son's house a few hours away to play in a golf scramble. He was gone Friday afternoon til early Sunday morning.
My daughter spent Friday afternoon and most of Saturday at my sister's house.
I spent that time at 'home alone'.

I made sure all of the outside work was done before dark and then settled in with a favorite movie and some knitting. I watched Jane Eyre from Masterpiece theater and started a pair of socks for me. I think they will fit this time. They will match my husband's socks - I had bought extra yarn.

On Saturday I knitted and cooked and canned applesauce. It was a wonderful chilly fall day. Sunny and a few stray clouds, lots of bird talk and a light breeze. I sat on the back patio while the apples cooked and knitted and chased the sun around with my chair.

Here is the applesauce recipe.
45 Cortland apples, peeled, cored and cut into fourths and then set in a solution of water and Fruit Fresh and then moved to the cookin' pot.
Add 3/4 C. sugar, three times.
Add 1 1/2 C. water.
3 pinches of cinnamon. ( mix the sugar and cinnamon before adding)
Cook over low heat for 2-3 hours, depending how lumpy you like it.
Put in jars and process , quarts and pints alike, for 20 minutes in a gently boiling water bath.
Yields 5 quarts.



Today, I made a Brown Sugar Apple Pie for church.
Make two-crust pie dough.
The filling is 8 C. peeled, cored, and sliced apples mixed with the following mixture.
1/2 C. firmly packed light brown sugar
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Pour into the chilled pie shell and dot with 2 T. butter, place on the top crust.
Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. (optional)
Bake 400 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, as I read your post I felt like I could have written it! There's nothing I like better than to work hard on a chilly fall day and then settle in for the classic movies of English literature that I love so much--Jane Eyre being one of them--with a knitting project to work on! Then....my applesauce looks IDENTICAL to yours, no kidding! I even use Cortland apples--which I bought today. But I have no recipe and that isn't the procedure I use. I enjoyed this post so much! Keep up the good knitting work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lou,
    That sounds like a great day you had. I could "see" it in my mind as I read your words.

    Do you have a big pantry to keep your creations?
    Just wondering because I would not have a place to store jars of anything, if I knew how to do that:)

    ReplyDelete