Friday, May 27, 2011

Cinnamon Raisin Swedish Tea Ring-Bread Month Seven

Let's turn our attention to this Swedish Tea Ring from my older Betty Crocker cookbook. I knew the minute I saw this picture.......mine would NOT look like it!!! lol. Well, I was right.
But I am just a glutton for punishment! So here goes.

I rolled it into a 9 x 15 inch rectangle.



I brushed one half with water and one half with butter. I have read that the butter will cause the mixture to 'not want to stick' therefore creating a gap between the filling and the dough. It's an experiment.

I rolled it up and then squished the ends together.

I cut 2/3 the way through at one inch intervals. Then I slanted all of the slashed pieces. I don't understand that because alot of the stuff leaks out during baking. (?)


I baked it, made a little glaze and had a piece.


I made one side with cinnamon/raisin and one half with just the cinnamon mixture.

Here is the whole recipe.

Sweet Roll Recipe.
2 1/4 tsp. yeast
1/2 C. warm water
1/2 C. lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled) to scald milk, warm over medium heat until tiny bubbles form at the edge. Do not boil.
1/3 C. sugar
1/3 C. shortening, margarine or butter, softened
1 tsp. salt
1 egg
3 1/2 - 4 C. A/P flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in milk, sugar, shortening, salt, egg and 2 C. of flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in enough remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl,turn the greased side up. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1.5 hours.

Now take 1/2 half of this dough and roll it into a 9 x 15 inch rectangle. Brush with 2 T. of softened butter. Then spread a mixture of 1/2 C. brown sugar, 2 T. ground cinnamon and 1/2 C. raisins over the top.
Roll up starting on the long edge. Pinch edged to seal, stretch it a bit and bring together into a ring and pinch the ends together. Make cuts 2/3 of the way through the ring at 1 inch intervals. Turn each section on its side. Let rise until double...about 40 minutes.

Heat over to 375°, bake until golden brown, tenting with aluminum foil to prevent over browning, 25 to 30 minutes.
Spread with glaze (optional)


Glaze
Mix 1 C. powdered sugar, 1 T. milk and 1/2 tsp. vanilla until smooth and of desired consistency. (I had to add a little more milk)

It tasted o.k. With the other half I will just make up some cinnamon rolls. Basically, you do the same thing. The book gives a different recipe for the filling..that being 2 T. butter softened to spread over the dough, mix 1/4 C. sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon and spread over that. Although, I think the other filling would suffice. After you roll it up into a log shape, take a sturdy piece of thread and slice through the dough like you would when using a knife. Slice into 1.5 inch piece. Place them in a baking dish, slightly apart, let them rise for @ 40 minutes.
Then bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes. You can put the same glaze on it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment