Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Red Beans and Rice

 Margaret was very small the year we lived in New Orleans.  If she had red beans and rice she doesn't remember.   On days when I work with Chris I need to be able to cook a good meal in a short amount of time....so  I have been looking into some pressure cooker recipes.   My mother has a smaller pressure cooker that I have borrowed on occasion.  I don't have one and I wanted to try out the smaller one to see if it is something I would use for a family of three.  Some folks are skiddish around these cookers, but don't be afraid they are much safer than they used to be.  
I must admit that the amount of liquid and the fact that I would be cooking beans gave me visions of liquid beany stuff shooting out the vent hole.  But that didn't happen.   The pot cooked this dish in 7-10 minutes.   I cooked the rice while chopping up the veggies and I had already soaked the beans since the A.M.
While I didn't work with Chris yesterday I was quite busy with errands and such so when evening rolled around it was easy to put together.   It was also easy to heat up for him when he finally arrived home at 10:30 at night.  (I will put up a post about what he is working on soon).

 The recipe called for beef broth-I used chicken broth.  I also used brown rice instead of white and a green pepper instead of red (only because I read the recipe wrong).
I also tried a smoked sausage called Wright's.  The package declared it to be gluten free.

Over all we gave it three thumbs up!

2 comments:

  1. This looks very good! I've never used a pressure cooker, but I'm fascinated that it cooked the beans so quickly! I usually cook mine in the crock pot and it takes 6 or more hours.

    YUM!

    ReplyDelete