Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hard Crusty Rolls - Bread Month Five


This month I saw a post on the King Arthur blog about hard crusty rolls. I read about them in the King Arthur Baker's Companion as well. This recipe calls for a 'poolish', kind of a little starter the night before. I had never tried a slow rise and found it intriguing. I started mine Saturday evening and added to it Sunday morning and worked on it off and on most of the day. It was quite interesting, the slow rise, so far I have only made breads that I can complete in an afternoon. The book said the slow rise gives it a better taste and texture.
Upon completion of baking the rolls we were pleasantly surprised. They were tasty and crunchy. I felt that my batch was a bit heavy in the middle, so hopefully next time I can remedy that. I put the rolls to rise on a parchment paper lined stone, but was disappointed because the bottom of the rolls were a tad burnt. When baking directly on the stones (from The Pampered Chef) I haven't had burnt bottoms. I tend to think it was the parchment paper, but I can't be sure, yet. Next time I will try it with only the stones and see the difference.
Over all, we really enjoyed these rolls. We give them three thumbs up.


The rolls on the KAF blog look perfect and you can also find the recipe there. I highly recommend you give it a try, especially if you haven't tried the slow rise.
I may get brave in the coming months and try a sour dough starter from scratch. Hmm?
Follow my bread journey here.


4 comments:

  1. I love bread. I love it so much, my hubby says I love it TOO much. I'd eat bread with everything, if I could! Those rolls look really nice, lovely and crispy on the outside. Perfect hot from the oven, with some butter on. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louellen, You asked about the post I did about pruning the blackberries here is the link to the post http://rob-agardenersdiary.blogspot.com/2010/10/pruning-blackberries.html or if you prefer it was posted on the 25th October 2010.

    The rolls look really nice, I could eat them with just butter spread on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those rolls look awesome! I have tried to start my own sourdough. I have failed every time. My grandma had recipes for it as well as salt-rising bread recipes--they failed for me too. Let us all know if you figure out the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look wonderful! Brittany didn't get temps until she was nearly 17...she had them a year and then we renewed them. I just wanted that maturity stuff to kick in. I am not sorry we waited. It's a scary thing putting them in a car. At least it was for me...

    ReplyDelete