Sunday, September 20, 2009

Year of the Pie - Pie #10 Fried Apple Pie

Week # 10 - Fried Apple Pie

We could not have picked a better week than week #10 to have our first
PIE DISASTER
Surprisingly, I am not upset about this.....it actually got comical as the event went on. You know, kind of like..."how much worse can this get"??

Well, a neighbor loaned us this book. It is a delightful book. Nancy Hutchens grew up in a farm in southern Indiana in the 50's and this book is a compilation of some of her favorite recipes during that time. It also has some poems and a few stories about this and that. It is the book that has the recipe called, "Get You A Boyfriend Peach Pie".


I had been reading this particular recipe and decided it would be our next victim. Little did I know, I would be the victim.
The title to this pie is offically called
Mamaw Hutchens' Fried Apple Pies
The idea is to fry up some apples, roll out some little round crusts, spoon a couple tablespoons of apples on to the crust, fold it over, seal it, FRY IT, eat it. Just sounds too simple!
Thus, my plight.



Easy so far AND cute.

In the skillet

Ook! (rhymes with kook)

Two catastophic skillets of fried apple pies and I decided to try and save the last four by baking them.

Kind of cute. But......ick.
The fried apples on their own were quite good, but for whatever reason, they didn't want to fry and stay in one piece and baking just didn't make them sing.
But, I have NO doubt that Mamaw Hutchens could fry them up in her sleep. The book says that Mamaw Hutchens was raised in Alabama and this is a southern favorite. My apologies to all Alabamans for my miserable failings.

These pies obviously didn't make the trip to church and are, in fact, still sitting on the kitchen counter.
We three give it

BUT.....on a higher note, I finished the quilt that I worked on (off and on) for the past two years and was able to give it to my sister for her birthday.
Here it is. Sideways. Tilt your head.

Until Next Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment